My Work in Progress

A sketchblog where I post a few of my scribbles from a variety of works-in-progress, usually from my rather random personal creativity outside of the daily grind. I occasionally, but not always, post the final artwork.

1/29/2006

Happy Chinese New Year!

The factories we work with in China are closed for the next week in order to celebrate the Chinese New Year. At work on Friday, we had a nice company lunch brought in from a local Korean restaurant which serves more authentic Chinese food (not the usual fried rice) to honor our Chinese co-workers. This year will be the Year of the Dog. According to the Chinese Zodiac, I was born in the Year of the Snake.

Not that I ever feel reptilian (ha), but Zodiacs are always fun to think about. The above picture is of me when I was only 5 weeks old. I was looking through some old photos today for a photo of a baby reference and I knew that I had a couple of me around somewheres. There's an art student that I occasionally mentor who is doing an illustration of a baby and I wanted a reference or two to help explain why there were some problems with the baby's pose.

This weekend has been an exercise in Halloween thinking and a bit of artwork. We have a meeting on Monday to discuss the Halloween 2007 styleguide with the Product Line manager, so I've been working on my bit of the guide as well as squeezing in some of my own stuff and wrapping up some Easter and Valentine artwork. For some reason, it doesn't feel like I had a weekend. I had to miss the ABOSG meeting on Saturday which was something I look forward to each month. It's a chance to hear a little bit about what's going on in the Dallas Animation Community. I'll have to go to the next one for sure.

All that thinking about Halloween reminded me of one of my favorite illustrators, Robin Jacques. He illustrated many of my favorite fairy tales and scary stories for kids. He also created artwork for a few adventure stories. His line work is very distinctive and something I've always recognized and appreciated.

Speaking of reptiles, after reading a new book this weekend in the Dragon Delasangre series, I did a quick sketch during the hour it took to feed my two snakes today, Ghost (rat snake) and Copper (corn snake). They're both about 16 years old, and have lived quite a bit longer than I figured. I guess I'm doing something right. At least, unlike the dragons, my snakes don't rip and tear up their prey...although they do choke the mice and swallow them whole. I'm glad they only eat once a month or so.

No comments: