My Work in Progress

A sketchblog where I post a few of my scribbles from a variety of works-in-progress, usually from my rather random personal creativity outside of the daily grind. I occasionally, but not always, post the final artwork.

10/22/2005

Getting in Disguise

I've been working on a new little project at home in the evenings the last couple of weeks or so: a paper mache' dragon mask for my Halloween costume. Here's my concept sketch I've been referencing:



I was trying to figure out the best way to actually create it without making it so heavy that I couldn't wear it for more than 5 minutes when I thought about using paper mache'. I haven't worked with paper mache' since I was in 2nd grade in 1972. LOL! I had to do some research to figure out the best way to make the paste and what other papers I could use that could be easily painted.

Does the current dragon look like my reference? Not exactly. But I'm having fun and I'm curious to see how it turns out. I've been taking pictures of the progress, from the initial simple wire form to the foil and scrunched up paper sculpture to the laying on of paper mache'. And what a mess that has been!! Glue and water all over the place. But still fun. :) I'll post the pictures next week once it's been painted and everything.

Oh, yes - I'm using peacock feathers on the back bit to mimic the dragon hairs in my sketch. Fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled onto your blog. Interesting stuff! Think I may come back again.

Thanks.

Soony