My Work in Progress

A sketchblog where I post a few of my scribbles from a variety of works-in-progress, usually from my rather random personal creativity outside of the daily grind. I occasionally, but not always, post the final artwork.

5/09/2006

Nostalgia

It's fun to go back through some of my really old sketchbooks. Sometimes I'll see an old drawing and think up a new project; other times I'll laugh because it's simply a silly girlie kind of sketch. I was going through some high school sketch books tonight, in particular one set that was from 1980. That's what I call my "year of transition." I was still sketching from photos and whatever was in my imagination at the time. But, at the end of that year I started working at Six Flags and was drawing from life almost every day. It seriously made a different in my drawing skills. Here are a few of my old drawings from my sketchbooks when I was 14 - 15 years old.

Pencils and crayola crayons:





My Star Wars fan art from the Empire Strikes Back. I was drawing these with pencils and crayola crayons from the photos included with the record album of the John William's Soundtrack. This was still before my Six Flags job and actually was really why they offered me the job (my fantasy art didn't impress them one bit).





Here you can really see a before and after, especially if you look at the first picture at the very top (not the Star Wars stuff), and then these two below. Both of these were drawn from my imagination, but the 2nd shows a much better understanding of the facial features.


Sketches with ball point pen.


Charcoal sketches.

A pastel drawing on black paper. It's a scan of a photo I took of the picture which is why it looks a little scratchy.


Yup, all of these pictures were from art I did when I was in High School. I really wish that after I had graduated from high school, I would have gone to Art School. :(

No comments: