My Work in Progress

A sketchblog where I post a few of my scribbles from a variety of works-in-progress, usually from my rather random personal creativity outside of the daily grind. I occasionally, but not always, post the final artwork.

8/12/2013

Tiny Drawings: My 2013 Sketchbook


As much sketching as I like to do when I get started on a project, it seemed like a good idea to pull a few of those together into a small sketchbook collection. This way, I could post it on Etsy and also take a few copies with me to conferences next year (something I hope to do).

For my 2013 collection, I think I'd like to include a variety of thumbnails that lead up to the more detailed drawings that I completed from 2012/13. I have a some of those.  Might include a few other odds and ends for added interest, too.

The above sketch was a preliminary thumbnail for a cover illustration. About 3x5 inches done with a blue ball point pen on printer paper. After I scanned it, I converted it to b/w and then did a little bit of shading to push a few of the values. The final illustration for that one is currently in progress.

I like sketching out thumbnails with a pen because I have to deal with the permanent lines I've placed on the paper. It forces me to think more about shapes and layout as opposed to detail. And, if there are a few accidents, happy or otherwise, I can always write some notes along side it about what I'd like to change or keep...if I intend to push the thumbnail further with a more detailed drawing.

But especially -- no erasing! :)

No comments: