My Work in Progress

A sketchblog where I post a few of my scribbles from a variety of works-in-progress, usually from my rather random personal creativity outside of the daily grind. I occasionally, but not always, post the final artwork.

6/09/2005

Striking a Pose

We're on our way back to work after a mad dash to Toys R Us for some "reference material" - one of the guys had snagged a Dark Galadriel at the store close to his home Wednesday night and we all wanted one...so we grabbed our little interns after the company meeting and took off for the Lewisville TRU, heh. Since the action figure wasn't supposed to be available till July 1st...we wanted to be sure and snag one. Especially since the face and eyes light up all nifty-like when you push the button on the back. aaahhhh....must have one.... I even lent Theron my little LED stand that I have at my desk for my ROTK ghosts setup so that he'd get the uplighting to make the toy look even more dramatic. He said he was hoping I'd lend it to him. har.

Ok, ok...I admit that we all like to play with toys...at least we can say we're toy designers so we have a "good excuse" for the shelves of toys we're surrounded by...you know, getting to know what the competition's offering. ;)

No luck at the TRU store. Darn it.

Anyways, so we're heading back to work, chatting and what not, when I see this high school girl standing at the bus stop looking at the passing cars. It was her stillness and her stance that caught my attention. A very rounded head, in part because of her pony-tail hair style; but the rest of her body was so extremely angular. It was like she was a succession of "Z's" going left to right...her neck was a short stroke to the left, then another stroke to define the shoulders...yet another to the left and right to capture the arms and the angle of her elbow, wrist to hand, to hip, to knee to feet. And the very thinness of her body helped to contribute the angular effect and contrast to the very roundness of her head. Shoulda had my sketchbook with me. Oh, well.

I did a quick sketch of the memory because the pose captured my attention so sharply. I didn't quite capture her, but it was fun to do anyways.

No comments: