My Work in Progress

A sketchblog where I post a few of my scribbles from a variety of works-in-progress, usually from my rather random personal creativity outside of the daily grind. I occasionally, but not always, post the final artwork.

6/25/2006

Odds and Ends

I got a Pasta Machine to give my poor hands a break from squashing Sculpey. I don't milk cows for a living, so my hands were getting a bit sore from the exercise. I've been wanting one for awhile, saw this one in the store yesterday when I was picking up some supplies, so I went ahead and got it. I was doing a quick google to find a reference of milking a cow and found this old photo...it reminds me of my mom milking the Jersey cow in the backshed at my grandma's house (my dad's mom) in Louisiana. My mom liked to give the barn cats a treat now and then just like in the below photo. :)


A friend of mine that used to work with me in toy development and is now an animator for an online children's educational site, is also a professional maquette artist and has offered to mentor me as I continue to practice my sculpting skills. Yay! Those kinds of friends are the best. :)

I've been collecting the McFarlane Dragons since they started showing up in toy stores just over a year ago. The other day while I was visiting conceptart.org, I discovered that one of the designers for the Series 3 dragons, Jin Han, has a website with some of the concept art he developed. Really nice to see another artist's process. The above dragon is one of the two that I like in Series 3...while I bought the others, too, to have a full set, I didn't take them out of their cartons just yet.

I just saw a new post on Monster.com for a toy designer at Disney in my daily Monster email this morning. While a tempting way to get over to the L.A. area (and believe me, I'm considering it) and get involved in the L.A. animation creative community, toy design is really not the career direction I want to continue pursuing...but, DAMN, it's tempting. Especially since I seem to be making no headway at all in my current pursuit as visual development artist/concept artist/character designer at an animation studio.

I need to think about it.

No comments: